Thursday 15 January 2015

Introduction: a blog about the Gurdjieff Work, counselling and the 12 Steps

When I first heard of the Work in 1970, I had no idea how much my life and my "self" would be transformed by it. I was fortunate in studying under a wonderful and gifted teacher, Marian Davison, who succeeded Beryl Pogson after Mrs Pogson's death. I remained her student for most of my life, although I was also lucky enough, with her permission, to be taught for a while by Dr Bernard Courtney-Myers, who had been Gurdjieff's personal physician. I also spent time with a large group in Israel, and from 1978-1992 I studied with an Atlanta group linked with the Foundation in New York.

I kept my link with Mrs Davison through notes and telephone calls while I was in the USA, and by personal visits and participation in her group again when I returned to England, in 1992. I am more grateful than I can express for the unstinting help and the Work education which she gave me.

What I didn't anticipate was that, some time in the 1980s, I would fall into the living hell of alcoholic drinking. 

For a while, my personal work continued untouched, as I thought, by my drinking. But after a near-fatal car crash it was no longer possible to deny my diminished state. I literally died, and was brought back to life, now permanently and severely disabled. Fortunately, I discovered AA and the Twelve Steps, and I practiced them together with the Work principles I'd already digested.

I was surprised and delighted to find that the two programs went very well together - and so they still do, as I continue to use both today in my spiritual journey.

It shouldn't have surprised me, because both are inspired by Christianity, the program of AA directly so, and the Work by Esoteric Christianity, along with many of the principles of the other great religions. 

For more than 20 years I've been a Work teacher myself, authorized to teach by Mrs Davison. And I celebrated 24 years of sobriety last year, 2014.

I wrote a book about my experiences, "A Raging Thirst: My Life in the Chamber of Yearnings", which I'm publishing on Kindle. And I started a website, and this blog, in the hope that the story of my journey may be of help to others, and because Mrs Davison always insisted that we must try, in every way we can, to pass along what we've learned. The Work isn't just for ourselves. It's given to us for our own spiritual growth, yes, but also for the benefit of others and so that we can contribute to the evolution of this unique planet.

Or, as AA puts it, we keep what we have by giving it away. And it's in that spirit that I offer this blog to anyone who may find it helpful.


5 comments:

  1. Anyone in the Work will find this blog of great help in remembering themselves. I will follow it closely. Thank you Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah. Good to hear from you, and I hope this blog does prove helpful to you and to others who are interested in the Work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the information. I came across your blog when I ran the search Gurdjieff AA on duck duck go. I am beginning to bring the Work into my life. I'm an alcoholic and caught myself realizing the significance Self Remembering has in connection with the fourth and tenth steps. As you pointed out, we can only keep what we give away and I would like something authentic to give away. I would also like to begin to live in a more practical, useful way rather than being identified with negative states as I have throughout my life. I look forward to reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you on board! Steps Four and Ten are so important, and without the Work I would have found it very difficult to carry them out. Not that it is ever easy, but we're fortunate to have both the program and the Work to show us how to do it. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete